From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:10:32 -0400
Subject:        Latitude/Longitude Point display in MARC
Date:   Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:28:25 -0400
From:   Timothy Strawn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
CC:     [log in to unmask]

Dear Virginia:

Although the 034 and 255 fields are repeatable, AACR2 and the
Cartographic Materials Guide (AACR2 for Chapter 3) have specific
requirements regarding the use of these fields --and 'listing'
coordinate pairs for items within the bounds of a map is not a viable
option for your needs. You are right --the information in 034 and 255 is
for the map extent.
The use of the 342 field as in your example is not accurate either
(sorry for all of the bad news up front...)
[The 342 will read: 342 02  Universal transverse Mercator $$p
17N4348491641488]
The subfield p here Zones is used for celestial charts...

Now --for the good news --but perhaps more work than you want it to be.

First, I am assuming that the map includes many points which you wish to
identify.
IF the map is of a single mine (and therefore you need only record 1 set
of coordinates) THAT IS a viable option with the standard use of the 034
and 255 fields and your problem is solved with the use of these two fields.

I am assuming instead that you have a map with many locations (with
different lat/long coordinates) you wish to record in the MARC record
for the map.  May I suggest that you use MARC field 552 "Entity &
Attribute Information Note" ?
Originally intended to describe digital geospatial data --it seems to be
that it is a viable and appropriate field if we consider the Mine as an
Entity and the mine location as one of the Attributes which comprise
that Entity.
(SEE MARC Concise Format for Bibliographic records at :
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdhome.html
Specific info on the 552 field is than at:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdnot2.html#mrcb552

So it might look something like this
552-1 __$aMine $b abandoned coal mine $c Location on the Earth's surface
$eW 79°21'35''/N 39°16'34" (Always in West, East, North, South order)
552-2 __$aMine $b operational coal mine $c Location on the Earth's
surface $eW 80°31'35''/N 38°16'34"

Something like that. You can repeat the 552 for each lat/long location
you would like to display on the MARC record for the map.  You might
check with your systems people on how fields will display in your OPAC.
5xx fields should display as notes, but since some of these fields are
either new or have been modified in order to map geospatial metadata
into the MARC format you want to make sure that they display properly to
your users.

Tim Strawn
Geospatial Resources Cataloger
Harvard Geospatial Library