From:
Ford Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:50:50 EDT
This is, I know, an unusual request.  I submit it for the expertise in this
group as I am only a casual observer.

I have spent the last several days in an exhaustive, and as yet unsuccessful,
search for a lost child.  I served as communications coordinator for a group
of wonderful people from the Dallas, TX area who work with search dogs.  One
of the greatest difficulties we encountered was locating up to date maps,
both topographical and general purpose.

The usual scenario is:  "Go check out --------.  Someone reported -------."
 This occurs while the unit is on the road or at a field site with no
opportunity to get to a map store or even a drug store or real estate office.
 The team plans to acquire a laptop computer for use in the field and is
hoping to find useful software to assist in guiding them.

Can anyone in this group recommend anything that someone with limited
computer knowledge and moderate map skills could use that would provide
current data that could be printed to a portable printer from a laptop in the
field.  The greater degree of accuracy, the better.  If you have any
recommendations please reply directly to me rather than tie up the group at:

Ford Davis