From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:59:51 -0500
Forwarded by Angie

-----Original Message-----
From: DMT 2015 - Digital Mapping Techniques [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of David R Soller
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 10:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NGMDB Geolex -- database and Website redesign

Hi -

The National Geologic Map Database's project members are very pleased to
announce that the content and Website for the U.S. Geologic Names Lexicon
(Geolex, http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Geolex/search) have been significantly
updated.  We invite you to examine the site, and provide comment.  Some
background on this redesigned Website, and specific requests for guidance,
are given below.

Regards.

Dave

-----
-----

BACKGROUND:

For the past several years, NGMDB project members have focused on a redesign
of our Website, which first opened to the public in 1996.  In this redesign,
our most significant challenge was to improve the organization of content
(e.g., merging the Map Catalog and Geolex databases, in order to create a
single record for each publication citation).  In addition, acquisition of
modern hardware and redesigning the code and workflow to manage new features
(e.g., multiple formats for downloadable files) were significant challenges.
These tasks were successfully addressed during the past several years,
continuing for a lengthy period after the redesigned Map Catalog was
publicly opened in October, 2012.

While other parts of the NGMDB Website were being redesigned, Geolex had to
wait its turn.  During that time, the content was extensively changed and
increased.  Work focused on adding original and significant references and
synopses for unit names that were named, abandoned, or modified prior to
1995 -- this was necessary because you can't build up the latest bricks in a
house if you don't ensure the foundation is solid.  Most of that
foundational work focused on geologic names in the central and western U.S.,
where the records were most lacking.  From this time forward, the focus will
shift to names introduced since 1995.  We anticipate updating Geolex's
content on a regular basis.

[One minor point -- you may notice that the URLs to Geolex pages have
changed.  We've set up redirects, so that your bookmarks to our pages
continue to function.  However, if your site has a large number of links to
Geolex, and you'd like to use the updated URLs, we can work with you to make
the updates.]

REQUESTS FOR GUIDANCE:

-  we of course welcome guidance on Geolex's content.  Please communicate
with us by email ([log in to unmask], with cc: to [log in to unmask]), or use
the site's comment form, as you choose.

-  we've created a page for "Statewide and regional correlation charts,
lexicons, and other stratigraphic resources (1890-present)" --
http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Geolex/stratres/charts.  We request your guidance on
publications that should be included here.

-----
-----

Geoscience resource for maps and related data http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/

* BEFORE REPLYING, PLEASE DECIDE WHETHER YOU WISH ALL DMT LISTSERV MEMBERS
TO RECEIVE YOUR REPLY OR ONLY THE INDIVIDUAL POSTING THE MESSAGE.  THE
LISTSERV IS SET UP TO SEND YOUR REPLY AUTOMATICALLY TO THE ENTIRE GROUP, SO
YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE "TO"
ADDRESS TO AN INDIVIDUAL ADDRESS IF YOU DO NOT WISH THE ENTIRE GROUP TO
RECEIVE THE REPLY. *