From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:12:07 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:19:28 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Safco map files -- a summary
Sender: [log in to unmask]

At the beginning of April I asked list members to respond to me about
their experience with Safco map cases.  My college is moving its map
collection to a new science building and I was looking into buying new
map cases.  Our purchasing department had found a better price on Safco
map files than on the Mayline cases that I had requested.

I received 6 replies.  Three strongly suggested that I insist on getting
the Mayline cases.  They told me that the drawers in their Safco cases
bent, jammed, and fell off the tracks.  The other three were generally
positive about their Safco files, although a couple did allow that their
new files were not as sturdy as those purchased in the past (which
could also be true of the Mayline files).  As a result of the few very
negative replies, we will be spending the extra money to buy from Mayline.

For consideration, one repondent recommended getting the type of case
that had dustcovers in each drawer so as to protect the maps against dirt,
light, and shifting of the maps.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Susan Tucker
--- End Forwarded Message ---