From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:26:33 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 99 09:00:03 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Archival scanning of maps
Sender: [log in to unmask]

My email software was doing peculiar
things last week, and I'm not sure
if this ever went beyond the innards
in my pc or not.  Apologies if
it's a repetition.

Is any one in the process of determining the parameters for a scanned
ARCHIVAL quality (as compared with access quality) image for historical
maps in
their collection?    What are the considerations/concerns/factors you are
using to determine the archival product, the parameters of the scanned
image, and derivative products/uses you anticipate creating from the archive?
What would be the best archival product? what could be realistically
achieved with the currently available technology?

Has anyone prepared a 'portfolio' of the same map, scanned
at different pixels per inch  (e.g., 150, 300, 500, 600, 800, 1000, 1200)
levels,
with results printed in, say, both color and black and white, or
on different types of printers?

I'm willing to be very embarrassed if all of this information
is in some obvious publication.  What I've seen and read - much
of it very good, and helpful - focusses on scanning to provide
access, or archival scanning  of
e.g. art images and microfilm.  In my library, we've done
some scanning of aerial photographs and have developed
procedures there, but we've done almost no scanning
of maps.  If I remember correctly, the Geography and
Map Division of the Library of Congress scans at 300 dpi and displays
maps at 150dpi (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/pmhtml/pandigit.html).

Mary Larsgaard
Map and Imagery Lab, Davidson Library
University of California