Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:04:31 -0600
Subject:        Staffing and Public Service
Date:   Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:03:05 -0500
From:   Thompson, Thelma <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Folks,

I am passing along, with a few additions, a message from Linda Johnson
that some of you may have seen on GocDoc-L.  Please forgive the
duplication and read on because I have added some specifics about the
map part of the equation.

We would be very interested in hearing of any models or experiences you
may have had with providing reference service for a depository that
contains a map collection of mixed depository and non-depository maps
and that does not have a specific public service desk, is not combined
with another public service dept., but is still a separate govt. docs dept.

At the end of the semester our separate public service desk will become
the Academic Commons Help Desk with mostly the technology folks
available as part of our information commons.  We are remaining a
separate dept. but need to figure out how to help folks find us for what
for us have become the longer consultation questions but really any
government information or map questions.  Some ideas we are mulling over
are: appointments, office hours, some on-call arrangement, and/or a
triage system.  Our offices will remain in the same location (which is
not visible to the public) as will our Reference & Map Collection in the
Map Room.

Our present Map Room is unstaffed, but it is only open during documents
reference hours. It has a pretty good line of sight from the desk that
will become the Help Desk so we are currently able to informally monitor
the room much of the time. A significant part of the collection is not
available through the online catalog so most requests beyond simple
topographic maps or nautical charts require reference assistance.

We expect to retain a consultation area, perhaps to be shared with the
technology help desk.  The Map Room has one computer that is also
available for consultation.

Either answer directly to me or to the list & I am more than happy to
summarize or pass along responses.  Linda and I both thank you for your
assistance.

Thelma Thompson

Thelma B. Thompson

Government Documents and Maps Librarian