From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:16:25 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:34:45 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: older topo map index books (fwd)

I have found myself confused about which indexing service is being
criticized.  There are the green state indexes, which for some states are
in booklet format, fairly convenient when you have only a small table
space and the sheet, quite convenient when you do have table space.  The
brown catalog, which is for ordering purposes, as it lists available maps
and sheets by name, are not intended to tell you what sheet covers a
particular area.

The initial commentary, I thought concerned the two forms of the index.
The discussion about the name listing not being useful is apt except that
concerns another tool than the index.

A more distressing trend I have noted is that on the newest sheets that
are not overlayed revisions of an older version, omit the names on the
margins for adjacent sheets.  One then has to commit to memory the other
quadrangle names or to keep the index map at hand.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Internaitonal Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---

--BAA10543.904577567/kryptonite.sge.net--