From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:16:59 -0600
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Chris Kollen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:35:22 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Use of Google Earth to visualize data

Hi:

The University of Arizona Library created the Arizona Electronic Atlas ( http://atlas.library.arizona.edu ) almost four years ago. It uses ArcIMS and ArcSDE with the data in SQL Server. Due to staffing changing and other factors, we’ve had a difficult time making enhancements and adding new data with our existing staff (without hiring an outside contractor).

It’s time to plan a new phase for the Atlas. Last spring semester, we conducted focus group sessions with UA faculty and students to find out what their needs are. Some of the key findings include a need to easily find Arizona geospatial data, a way to easily download data and visualize what it will look like (in relations to other geospatial data). One possibility we’ve been looking at is to provide the ability to view the data using Google Earth or Google Maps. We are looking for any institutions that have implemented something similar. I’ve looked at the GeoBC and the City of Portland. Are there any other examples especially at a college or university? Anyone have any recommendations of people to talk to?

Are there issues we need to consider, any pitfalls, other things to consider? Also have any articles been written about using Google Earth that people are aware of?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Kollen

Librarian