From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:49:51 -0500
Subject:        The 3rd edition of This Dynamic Planet map: volcanoes,
earthquakes, impacts, plates, saucers...
Date:   Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:42:24 -0500
From:   John C Fouke <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l

Good morning, all

It appears that This Dynamic Planet will be available sometime in June
(but don't hold me to this date as press runs are notorious for running
late).  I received the information below from USGS Geologic Publications
today.  The web site for This Dynamic Planet is:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/pdf/planet.pdf

The new edition of this best seller is completed and is scheduled for
printing May 15, 2006.  There are over 100,000 copies of the first two
editions in circulation, making it the most widely distributed of all
Survey maps.  We expect to print about 40,000 on this press run, and we
hope that number will be at least a one-year supply--but there is a great
deal of pent-up demand, especially among teachers.  We're shipping copies
directly from the printer to Menlo for their open-house in early June, so
that will be the first public showing.  I will make certain that we have a
large stock here in Publications in order to supply copies for official
use by Pat or others.  If you want to arrange some special announcement,
that will be excellent.  In addition to Survey authors, there are authors
from the Smithsonian and the Naval Research Laboratory.  The map editor is
Kate Schindler, and the cartographer is Will Stettner, so they can supply
material for a news release or other uses as you wish.