From:
Chris Baruth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:49:14 EDT
Jim,

I heard it exactly the same way you did and my reaction was similar.

Chris Baruth

On NPR All Things Considered Tuesday, September 16, Robert Segal
interviewed a mathematician who was lost in a forest in Oregon for 16 days.
 Segal introduced the piece by noting  His map was inaccurate.

The lost hiker then spoke.  He said his problem was that he misread his map
and thought he had traveled further than he had.  He said nothing about
having a bad map.

It seems to me that Segal injected the statement about an  inaccurate map
because he thought it sounded good.  I don t think it sounded good at all.
It insulted me.

Did anyone else hear this interview?  Did I hear what I think I heard?

I am sending a note to NPR to express my feelings.

Dr. James R. Carter, Professor, Geography/Geology Department
Illinois State University,  Normal, IL 61790-4400  USA

Director, Laboratory for Integrated Learning and Technology
at Illinois State University, and
Chair, Map Use Commission of the International Cartographic Assocation

tel: (309) 438-2833    fax: (309) 438-5310    [log in to unmask]