From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:52:50 -0400
Subject: re[3]: FAA as map vendor: a job for CUAC?]]
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:25:18 -0500
From: Geoffrey Forbes <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Greetings, all!

I have read your comments regarding FAA map order fulfillment with
interest.  East View Cartographic is a Business Partner/authorized agent
for both USGS and FAA.  Some time ago we made arrangements with both
agencies to treat all of our orders as urgent, and we pay a reasonable
premium for overnight air delivery service in all cases.  With very few
exceptions, we can fulfill orders for US government-produced mapping in
1-3 days.  This includes NIMA topos of all scales globally; USGS maps of
the US and possessions; NIMA/NOAA nautical charts of US and global
waters, etc.  Occasionally we have encountered some the bureaucratic
problems that are sometimes associated with government agencies,
although these cases are no longer the rule in our relationship with FAA
or USGS.  It is true that these agencies usually require exact stock
numbers as opposed to simple sheet numbers or worse, just geographic
coordinates or place names; and if an item does not appear in their
catalog they a!
ct as though it therefore must not be offered (or even exist!).  Of
course, map production is like a living organism, always changing, and
in the best of conditions, regularly updated and expanded.  In an effort
to stay ahead of the game, we have created GIS indexes of all known maps
in these series, as well as theoretical grids that provide sheet numbers
for maps that may or may not ever have been produced.  These have proven
invaluable in hunting down maps for our patrons extremely quickly, even
directly from USGS and FAA, occasionally even when they do not appear in
their catalogs.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are
interested in our digital indexes (which can be used in ArcView,
MapInfo, etc.) or if you would like us to try to fill your old
backorders quickly.  Educational discounts are available on most of our
offerings that represent significantly lower prices than the rates
published on our website.

Best regards,

Geoffrey A. Forbes
Director of Operations