From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:58:29 -0500
Subject:        This Dynamic Planet Revised
Date:   Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:58:19 -0400
From:   Zellmer, Linda R <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum
<[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

I received the following information this morning from USGS. I have
inquired about whether the map will be sent to depository libraries or
if we will have to buy it. I will let you know if and when I hear
something. Linda Zellmer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda Zellmer
Head, Geology Library
Geology Building, Room 601
1001 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-1405
Phone: (812) 855-2275 Fax: (812) 855-6614

This Dynamic Planet Revised

The Smithsonian Institution and the U.S. Geological Survey have
cooperated with the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and Institute of
Earth Sciences Juame Almera, Spanish National Research Council, to
produce a revised (2006) edition of This Dynamic Planet: World Map of
Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Impact Craters, and Plate Tectonics. This
version of the map shows the many features that have shaped and continue
to change our planet.

The Earth has over 1,500 volcanoes and 170 impact craters. Each year
there are more than , 44,000 earthquakes and 60 volcanic eruptions. In
2004 over 160 earthquakes occurred at a magnitude of 6 or greater. The
map clearly shows the locations of earthquakes and volcanoes that mark
plate boundaries; in addition, this map shows the locations of craters
made by impacts of extraterrestrial objects that have occurred
throughout Earth’s history.

This 2-sided map, which has a scale of 1:30,000,000, was designed to
show the most prominent features when viewed from a distance and more
detailed features upon closer inspection. The back of the map zooms in
further, highlighting examples of fundamental features, while providing
text, timelines, references, and other resources to enhance the
understanding of this dynamic planet. Both the front and back of this
map illustrate the enormous recent growth in our knowledge of planet
Earth. Yet much remains unknown about the processes operating below the
ever-shifting plates and the detailed geological history during all but
the most recent stage of Earth’s development.

The map, Scientific Investigations Map 2800, (Stock # 206335) measures
58” X 43.5.” It is available for $14.00 plus $5.00 handling from the
USGS Science Information and Library Services (SILS). To place an order
call the SILS offices at 1-888-ASK-USGS, or visit the USGS Store at:
_http://store.usgs.gov_ . Contributed by Sheryle Girk-Jackson,