From:
Blake Gumprecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1993 17:11:17 EDT
I am posting this request for a colleague who does not subscribe to
MAPS-L. Please respond to her individually. Thanks.

The request:

This information is needed for a realistic novel about the seventeenth
century Jewish pseudo Messiah, Sabbatai Sevi. Sevi's third wife, Sara, came
from Poland. She fled the Chmielnicki Massacres of 1648-1649 and their
equally violent aftermath, leaving Poland in 1655, according to Gershom
Scholem's biography of Sevi. She emigrated to Amsterdam.

In would like to know how she and others got from Poland to Amsterdam.
Sources like the Jewish Encyclopedia mention that they came by ship, but no
other details are given. Some sources say some people went through Germany.
I'm sure more than one route was taken.

I need detailed information on the routes taken by Jews from Poland to
Amsterdam during this crisis. If anyone has any ideas on where to look for
this information I would be most grateful.

Thank you for your help

Marilyn Smithson
Los Angeles Public Library
e-mail address: [log in to unmask]