From:
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 12:21:37 -0500
Subject: RE: Mexican War Maps (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:10:36 +0000
From: Hadden, Robert L AGC <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>,        [log in to unmask]

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

        Most of the original US Army military maps from the Mexican War are
held by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
"Historical military maps are deposited with the National Archives and
Records Administration (NARA). The Cartographic Section of the National
Archives can be contacted at: Cartographic Section, Special Media
Archives Services Division (NWCS), National Archives and Records
Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, Maryland  20740-6001.
TEL: 866-272-6272. See their website at:
http://www.archives.gov/research/start/by-format.html#cartographic "
        Some maps from the period are also in the Library of Congress Geography
& Map Collection Reading Room (http://www.loc.gov/rr/geogmap/). One
commercial map from 1846 by Charles R. Glynn is scanned and posted
online at: http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g4411s.ct002340
        Many of the other (non combat) maps produced by the US Army Corps of
Engineers from 1789 through the 1960s were attached to reports to
Congress. As such, they have been scanned and are part of the US
Congressional Serials Set. "The ProQuest collection begins in 1789 with
the American State Papers and details Congressional business through
1969. It includes reports and documents either produced or ordered by
Congress, as well as presidential communications and treaty materials.
Of particular importance to those who study law, the Serial Set contains
Congressional legislative reports that provide unrivaled insight into
the legislative intent of laws enacted before 1969." Many university and
research libraries have access to this commercial product. See:
http://cisupa.proquest.com/ws_display.asp?filter=U.S.%20Serial%20Set%20Digital%20Overview

        A brief description of the work done by the US Army Topogs
(Topographical Engineers) during the Mexican War is given between pages
57-59 of "The Nation Builders", which is also posted online for free at:
http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-pamphlets/EP_870-1-37/EP_870-1-37.pdf

Lee Hadden

R. Lee Hadden
Army Geospatial Center
ATTN: CEAGC-WSG (Hadden)
7701 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 22315
TEL: (703) 428-9206

"Shaving my head for bald kids with cancer" See my website:
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/522678/2012