From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:37:45 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: geographic s.h. question
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Beth,

Welcome to one of the quirks of map cataloging! If you've never lived in
New England or Pennsylvania then you wouldn't be aware of the phenomena in
terms of administrative places (e.g., a city, a town, a county, etc.) known
as Towns and Townships. Similarly there are Boroughs. So, in N.H. for
instance (and Massachusetts, Connecticut, etc.) there can be two different
political/administrative places with the same name; the city of Meredith,
NH and the Town of Meredith, NH. Typically, but not always, the Town is
geographically larger than the city. You must choose one or the other of
these headings (both are valid in LCAF) to apply to your map, and you must
look closely at the map to tell which is which. Use the title of the map as
a guide here too, lots of times it will say "Town of xyz..." in the title,
a reference to the actual Town, which usually includes the city. Towns are
also typically geographically smaller than a County, but larger than a city
or town.

The other area where this decision makes a difference is in choosing the
correct geographic area code to apply in your call number for the map...

Hope this sheds some new light!

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew