From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:57:16 -0500
Good morning!

Since I posted the "results" to my original question about what percent of
depository maps make up all receipts in various map collections I have had
several individuals contact me directly recently asking if I could compile the
"warnings", or bib. record issues if you will, that I received from three or
four colleagues along with their numbers. Sorry it has taken me a few days to
get to this, but priorities are priorities and this wasn't too high on my list
recently.

Anyway, before sharing specific feedback about some of the shortcomings of the
bib. records for maps on the Marcive tapes I thought I'd cite a great
background article to one map librarian's experience with choosing and loading
Marcive tapes. The article is full of pertinent information, but does not
contain specifics relating to actual record shortcomings and therefore I am
willing to follow through on today's email posting. The article is:

Armstrong, Dr. HelenJane. "An Academic Map Library Loads GPO Cataloging Tapes:
A Case Study of Plans and Impacts." In Special Libraries Association, Geography
and Map Division Bulletin, No. 177, Sept. 1994, pp. 2-34.

I recommend that those contemplating loading these tapes for map bibliographic
records read and heed Dr. Armstrong's article!

On to specific bib. record concerns. Let me caution that these are not "across
the board" issues, excepting the lack of LC G-class call numbers on these
records (for good reason, they originate with the Government Printing Office
which uses the SuDoc classification system and not LC or any other), specific
concerns apply where and if the library chooses particular kinds of records for
the maps they receive on depository, e.g., if you were to choose not to receive
those records for nautical charts then the issues regarding these maps will not
apply. Here goes:

1. Nautical charts

  a. The bib. records do not contain the individual chart numbers, which are a
common and well-known retrieval point or "label" for these
       items by our patrons. They are as unique as ISBN numbers and thus would
make for a quick an accurate means of retrieving these
       records by catalogers and reference staff alike, as well as those
patrons with savvy searching skills, especially in an
       Integrated Library System that allows for keyword searching on numbers.
Placement of chart numbers either in the call number or
       in a note would greatly enhance these records.

2. Subject Headings

 a. Inconsistent application of subject headings for the same map as it is
issued in new editions over time. For example, Latin America
     versus the Caribbean.
 b. No subject heading access at the county level for those maps that cover all
of one or more county.
 c. Inaccurate or incorrect application of subject headings -- "Marcive Subject
headings are frequently very general (Wyoming - Geology - Maps
     rather than Bighorn Basin, Wyo.- Geology - Maps). In one case, a Marcive
Record for a map of the Kamchatka Peninsula (Russia) was given
     the subject heading Kenai Peninsula (which is in Alaska). The maps seem to
be cataloged by someone who does not have much knowledge
     of geography or physiographic regions, and they do not appear to spend
much time trying to determine whether there might be a more appropriate
     subject heading. Perhaps they need some general atlases and/or reference
books to help them identify more appropriate subject headings."

3. Classification/Call Numbers

 a. Inconsistent application of classification/call numbers for the same map as
ist is issued in new editions over time. See 2a. above.

Finally, I received a couple of other "warnings" but these were in regard to
choosing parent (collective-level) records for items in series or for the
nautical charts versus records for each sheet in a series, which is extremely
useful to know in order to prevent a lot of catalog maintenance headaches.

Thanks again to all of you who shared your findings and information with me.
Someone suggested, and rightly so, that somebody needs to write an article on
specific problems with the maps bibliographic records and how to overcome/avoid
them. I'm up to and way above my eyeballs in writing over the past couple of
years and thus am not willing to tackle such an article. Anyone else? I think
it would assist a great number of map librarians/catalogers, especially as more
and more institutions choose to purchase the Marcive tapes.

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew
Faculty Maps Cataloger
Pennsylvania State University