From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:50:06 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:18:10 -0700
From: Naomi Heiser <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Why is north "up" on globes/maps?
Sender: Naomi Heiser <[log in to unmask]>

Hello -
A local newspaper would like a simple lay-person's answer to this
question:  "Why is north always up on globes and maps?"

We did inform them that north is not always "up", and gave them an
example.  However, we could not find a easy, concise answer in any
reference sources about the history/convention of indicating north on a
globe or map.

Could anyone point us toward a good source, preferably on-line (but
paper okay)?

Thanks in advance.

Naomi Heiser
Map Library