From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 17:11:14 EST
This message is from Mike Meuser.-------Johnnie

>From: "Michael R. Meuser" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 02:02:50 +0000
>Subject: Re: GIS and  TRI data

I am a ph.d. candidate in sociology at ucsc and have worked with tri
data quite a bit.

I also have a consulting firm and we have just completed a series of
maps (6000+) covering all TRI facilities in the US.  These will be
part of EDF's WWW scorecard project.  Each facility is hittable.  We
ran into some of the same problems that you describe.  The GIS we
used was not programmable (also not arcview) so we had to output
the image (*.bmp) and an associated data file that included the
preferred latitude and longitude.  We then developed an in-house
program that would allow us to physically move and resize if
necessary little boxes over each facility.  The program then output
a file with the pixel coordinates of the top left and bottom right of
the hittable box.  We then wrote another program that would write
the html from these data and image files.  Now that we have completed
the project we are working on both of the programs hoping to release
them to the public in a month or so.

In the meantime check out our work at:

http://www.mapcruzin.com/EI
(demographic/tri maps of silicon valley)
http://www.mapcruzin.com
(toxic maps including a link to our own Santa Cruz TRI)
http://www.mapcruzin.com/meuser

My ucsc email is [log in to unmask]

Mike Meuser
Clary-Meuser & Associates