From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:24:23 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: MAPS-L: For or against dust covers?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:51:13 -0500
From: Angie Cope, AGSL <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I want to add that in regards to the disaster recovery presentation made
in D.C. the presenter was describing a pretty extreme situation.  In
Hawaii the map drawers, covers and maps were soaked with A LOT of water
for an extended period of time. That caused the covers to bleed and
stick to the maps. I don't suppose the mud and muck helped either.

The AGS Library had a small situation a year or so ago when an air
conditioning unit in the ceiling leaked onto an older map case (the case
was old not the maps). Some water got into the drawers and did pool up
onto the cover inside the drawer. We discovered it in the morning and
were able to quickly dry up the water and save the maps from extreme
damage.  It goes without saying that we moved that map case immediately.

Why we call them dust covers and not map covers or something - I don't
know cuz it doesn't really seem like dust is the issue for most libraries.

Ta.

Angie

ANGIE COPE
American Geographical Society Library
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(414) 229-6282
(800) 558-8993 (US TOLL FREE)
(414) 229-3624 (FAX)

Map Librarian, MAPS-L Moderator
http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/welcome_to_mapsl%20forum.html

MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L