From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 15:44:06 EST

> I have just been presented with a statistical challenge which requires an
> answer by the end of February i.e. Tuesday at the latest. What we need to know
> is:
>         1. the number of extant printed maps - internationally;

What do you mean by "number of extant printed maps" Nick? Do you mean actual
numbers of copies of every sheet in existance? Number of titles (at the series
or at the sheet level?) of maps _currently_ in print? Are you only concerned
with those maps currently available for purchase, or ALL printed maps that
have been available in the past right up to the present day? What about maps
published as part of a wider publication? Folio atlas sheets? I am not just
trying to split hares (or hairs.. or even heirs) but was genuinely puzzled
as to what you seek to include and what to exclude from your definition...

>         2. the best comprehensive listing of these maps - my initial response
>                 was Parry & Perkins' "World mapping today", but that is only
>                 part of the overall answer.

The GeoKatalog always strikes me as a pretty comprehensive listing of what is
available to buy at the moment...

Hope I have not clouded the issue too much! :-)

Darius Bartlett