From:
Cindy Rosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:13:16 EDT

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Gerry STREY wrote:

> The salary offered for the Northwestern position seems a tad modest,
> considering the responsibilities of the job and the qualifications and
> experience demanded, don't you think?
>
> Gerry Strey
> State Historical Society of Wisconsin

Having been looking for a professional librarian position since August
1995, I have found that positions seem to be expecting more for the same wages.
I have noticed that this is true in a very short time frame, positions that I
saw advertised in July 1995 with computer experience "prefered" now say
"required", for the same amount of money. It seems to be part of an
education inflation caused by too many graduates and too few positions.
Plus the technology boom. (Online, Online, sis-boom-bah! Throw out the
paper, Go electronics, Yah!). I enjoy using the Internet,
Netscape & telnet...but, there  are still, and will continue to be, many
places, communities, libraries, and schools that can not afford _all_ of
equipment needed for the new technology and the continued upgrades.

Slightly more than my $.02 worth.

Cindy Rosser
TTU Geosciences Library

Don't get me started, you know how I get.