From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:25:25 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:09:37 -0600
From: bob Wier <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Compass rose question (fwd)

>The "backwards" compass rose on some surveying compasses is associated with
>the way the compass is used.  In the case here, the wooden box is opened and
>the compass held with the line on the inside top of the box, which aligns
>with "N" & "S" (adjusted for declination) pointing in the direction of the
>line of interest.  The compass needle points to the correct reading if the
>compass rose is "reversed".

Very true. I have a "Brunton" Cadet plastic case "Pocket Surveying
Compass" here on my desk (I can't afford the metal cased model), which
has E and W reversed as you hold the compass at eye level, sighting on
an object, and read the bearings in a mirror lined up with a "gunsight
notch".

Brunton for many years has been a leading name in such devices (located
in Riverton, Wyoming).

THANKS

--Bob Wier

       mailto:[log in to unmask]