From:
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:39:45 -0500
Subject: Fwd: University of Hawaii Library:  thanks!
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:20:17 -1000
From: Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Aloha Kind Maps People,

As you may have heard, the Univ. of Hawaii's Hamilton Library was hit
by a flash flood on October 30th.  I was at the time enjoying a tour of
western Japan with my wife.  Nothing could have prepared me for what I
saw when I returned to the Library last week.  The amount of
destruction was, and still is, unbelievable.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who have
left me email messages of support and also offers of duplicate maps. I
am very grateful for the assistance offered by many of you.  I'm sorry
that I may not be able to reply to everyone immediately, but want to
let you know that your messages were read and very much appreciated.

It is wonderful to see what a great and kind group of people you "maps
folks" are!  My most sincere thanks!

As you may have gathered from emails from Gwen Sinclair and Mabel
Suzuki, photographs of the ongoing salvaging and restoration work are
being updated and can be seen at:
        http://www2.hawaii.edu/~smurata/flood/

We certainly have our work cut out for us, but we are determined to
move forward and rebuild!

Aloha and Mahalo!
ross

Ross Togashi, Map Technician             long live SPAM!
University of Hawai`i at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection
2550 McCarthy Mall
Honolulu, HI   96822