From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:03:02 -0500
Hello All,

        As you know, the National Commission on Library and Information
Science did a study on the proposed closure of NTIS.  Their preliminary
report was issued in March.  As part of their study, they have been doing a
study to assess Public Information dissemination, including the entire realm
of Government Information resources.  As a result of this assessment, they
have developed the Public Information Resources Reform Act of 2001, which
would replace the present Federal Depository Library Program with a Public
Information Resources Administration (PIRA) in the Executive Branch of
Government.  The PIRA would have responsibility for functions now contained
in agencies such as the Superintendent of Documents and NTIS.  It would also
establish a formal working relationship with the National Archives.

Several Web Pages on the NCLIS Home page contain information on the
proposal.  They include:

        -Fact Sheet on the Public Information Resources Reform Act of 2001
To Be Recommended By the U.S.
        National Commission on Libraries and Information Science (NCLIS)
http://www.nclis.gov/govt/assess/branch.html

        -Public Information Resources Reform Act of 2001: text of the
proposed law which would establish the
        Public Information Resources Administration.
http://www.nclis.gov/govt/assess/draftleg.pdf

In addition links to other pages can be found on the NCLIS Site on the
Comprehensive Assessment of Public
Information Dissemination.  http://www.nclis.gov/govt/assess/assess.html

NCLIS is asking for comments on the proposed legislation by 9 AM NEXT MONDAY
(DECEMBER 11).

I have written a letter commenting on the proposals based on experience with
cartographic materials.  Among the points that I am addressing are:

        -Data Access: geospatial data must be included in the Public
Information Resources Access Program
        -Data Formats: data needs to be delivered in formats that can be
readily used by GIS software
        -CRADAs and Copyright: Private companies participating in CRADAs
should not be allowed to copyright cartographic
        materials produced from         data they receive from Federal
Agencies
        -Data Delivery & Archiving: Libraries and library users need
permanent, free access to geospatial data
        -Technology Issues: Plotter technology is not yet permanent, nor do
companies understand the need for
        permanent, archival media
        -Lack of meaningful geographic information from Internet Mapping
Sites (county level maps of data in the Western
        United States lack any meaning because there are fewer, larger
counties) and the need to archive data from these sites.

Anyone wishing to see a copy of my letter can contact me at my e-mail
address (see below).

Linda Zellmer

Linda Zellmer
Maps Librarian