From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia R. Hetrick
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:58:32 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:00:32 -0800
From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Digital cameras
Sender: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, David and others -

The issues, as I see them, come down to the same one which governs reproduction of any map, is the tool
adequate to reproduce whatever the features of the map may be?

I guess my main thing is that I wouldn't think a 5-megapixel camera would provide a satisfactory result.
While I was at UCLA, one of the pieces of equipment I became familiar with was the very high-end Kodak
camera at the Fowler Museum which the Museum staff uses to photograph its collection.  When they bought
it, it cost around 10Kbucks.  The Museum had it in a pretty much fixed position and placed the objects on
whatever they were to be photographed against, i.e., the camera didn't move much at all.

If you'd like to see some of their results, you can take a look at:

http://www.fmch.ucla.edu/Collections/collect.htm

If you click on the small pictures here, you'll get a higher resolution picture that's pretty much like
most of the pictures, but not as high resolution as they use in catalogues and similar publications.

Several years ago, the one of the Museum dudes and I wrote a paper as part of the Museum Educational Site
Licensing Study which was sponsored by the Getty.  Part of what we dealt with was the issue of image
scale on the internet, which is not strictly relevant to this email, but there may be some information in
the paper that could help you understand the issues and/or lingo involved.  You can get it at:

http://home1.gte.net/drjuice/gxfmt.pdf

HTH.

vh
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766  Email:  [log in to unmask]

--- End Forwarded Message ---