From:
Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:25:30 EST
Happy New Year, Folks!

The glue you use depends to some extent on whether the maps you are
mounting are a spare disposable set, how long you wish the display to
last, and what condition you want the wall to be afterwards.

Various books on the conservation of library materials will give you
information on wheat paste and other glues.  There are various kinds of
wheat paste depending on the flour you use.

Cunha's Conservation of Library Materials: A Manual and Bibliography....
(Scarecrow, 1971), v.1 p.46, contains a warning against using a
commercial wallpaper paste as they may contain various insecticides and
fungicides which may damage the paper.

Good luck,
        Fran W.

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, John Walsh wrote:

> [log in to unmask] wrote:

Frances Woodward, Special Collections & University Archives Division,
Main Library, University of British Columbia, 1956 Main Mall, Vancouver,
B.C. V6T 1Z1
Tel: (604) 822-2819  Fax: (604) 822-9587  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a map is worth a million!"