From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:15:40 EST
5 messages.  Slightly off the question theme, but in the same geographical
awareness void is the following (from one of the library staff who was in the
class):  A French class was using a map of Paris as the center for a French
conversation.  One of the students looking at the map asked what the arrows
in the river meant.  The teacher said the direction of flow.  At which point
another student in the class disagreed.  The student argued that streams
flow everywhich direction, and not one way.  Therefore the arrow could not
show flow direction.-------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:40:41 -0800 (PST)
>From: Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Strangest Questions

Thanks for the good chuckles!  Here is my contribution.

One of my first reference questionswas from a patron who wanted a Roman
map of North America showing Roman roads!

On another occasion, a patron wanted an air photo of Point Grey (where
UBC is located) made at the time Captain Vancouver was here (i.e. 1792)
so he could compare the number of trees then and now!

Aren't patrons wonderful.
Cheers,
        Fran
Frances Woodward, Special Collections & University Archives Division,
Main Library, University of British Columbia, 1956 Main Mall, Vancouver,
B.C. V6T 1Z1
Tel: (604) 822-2819  Fax: (604) 822-9587  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a map is worth a million!"

>From:   Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: re: strangest questions

Greetings,
I've been keeping a record of "strange" and "interesting" questions.
I've collected these only from the past 2 months.

1)  Me: Hi, may I help you?
    She: Yes, I need a map of the Island of Molokai.
    Me: Sure, what type of map would you like?
    She: [funny stare]
    Me: Topographical?...Streets?...
    She: No...kinda flat.

2)  I need a map from 1280 AD showing land use on the island of Oahu.

3)  Do you have maps of Hawaii?

4)  Are mountain ridges considered "physical features"?

5)  After explaining to a patron that we have a photocopy machine
    that can copy maps on page and legal-size paper, he holds up
    a very large (3'x4') map of Oahu and asks: "I only want a copy
    a small part of this map.  Do I have to copy the WHOLE thing?"

There are a bunch more, but I'll leave it at that.  It is interesting
to note what the unknowing or "non-map person" thinks might be available
on maps.  I don't consider them "dumb questions", just interesting and
sometimes strange.

For more "geographic humor", check out this week's "Luann" comics
strip if your local paper carries it.

Aloha,
Ross "yes, we have maps of Hawaii" Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection    mmmm...geographic humor

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 19:24:26 -0800 (PST)
>From: PETER V GRATTON <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question

 My strangest map question would be.
 " Do you have any aerial maps of Las Vegas from the 1880s?"

 Las Vegas was founded in 1905.

 My strangest question was
"Who do I talk to about what taxes are paid by brothels?"

  In Nevada, counties with under 100,000 population Legal prostitution
 may be permitted. The county voters can vote yes, or no, to making it Legal.

  Peter Gratton      [log in to unmask]
  Government Publications Dept Library
  Univ of Nevada, Las Vegas
  4505 Maryland Parkway
  Box 457013
  Las Vegas NV 89154-7013

 I have all the answers. I just don't know, what questions they go to.

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 19:36:27 -0800 (PST)
>From: David Lundquist <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question

The strangest map question that we ever had here at UC Davis was from the
individual who wanted maps of Oregon ....... on Mars.

He came in a couple of months later looking for a 17th century British
publication to use in a lawsuit he was filing against the government in
regard to the fever that was burning up his body from all of the
radiation he had gotten when the government sent him to the moon when
he was 8, 11 and 15 yrs old.  There was quite a bit more. Sad but scary.

David Lundquist
Shields Library
Univ. of Calif., Davis

>Date: 16 Nov 95 00:50:49 EST
>From: [log in to unmask] (Lynn E. Noel)
>Subject: Strange Questions

Several years ago I spent two ten-week tours of duty (midwinter) as Travel
Centre host at a Canadian trade show in the upper Midwest. During this exercise
in guerilla front-line geography,  I began a collection of strange questions,
to which I've gleefully added yours. Here are some of my prizewinners.

(in Iowa, looking at a calendar of Canada) "Are those the same?"

"The same as what?"

(pointing to the full moons) "You know, the Canadian holidays!"
(proof positive that Iowa is on another planet.)

(in Omaha) "How fast is it up there?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"You know, the speed limit."

"The same as in the U.S. -- 100 km per hour."

"Wow, that's fast."

Since this was the year they invented the GST, I spent a great deal of time
with fishermen who were carefully working out just how to get the best deal on
imports. Bottles or cans, which brand of beer, whether different brands were
taxed diferently, &c. I struggled to keep a straight face at the absurd
prospect of importing Bud INTO Canada...

And from the Canadian Consulate in Minneapolis, the best import question of
all.

"Can I import M&M's into Canada?"

(stunned silence) "Uh, yeah. Everything but the green ones."

Lynn Noel
Institute for Arctic Studies
(not a member of this list)