From:
D Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:09:06 EST
> Dear Maps-l readers;
>
> I am a geography student doing a work on the color use of topographic maps.
> I'm seeking some concrete specifications of every map features or objects,
> which are RGB-based or HSB-based.
> But I cannot find any guides or specifications on this subject up to now.
> I would appreciate any information on sources (reports, journal articles,
> books, web sites etc.) pertaining to this topic.
> Thank you all very much.
>      Chulsue Hwang  (Ph.D Candidate)
>      GIS Lab, Dept of Geography
>      Seoul National University

Dear Hwang

I think you are unlikely to find colour specifications for
topographic maps given in either RGB or HSB. Both of these systems
are designed for specifying colours on screen, not printed maps.

There is no such thing as 'standard colours' for topographic maps
(nor any other aspect of their specification). Most countries develop
their own unique specifications depending on their perceived
priorities.

While there is an increasing use of the four process colours (cyan,
magenta, yellow & black)  for printing topographic maps, many are
printed using 'spot' colours, i.e. inks colours chosen particularly
for the map, and many are printed in 5 or 6 colours.

In terms of references, there are relatively few sources which
discuss the design of topographic maps. Keates (1988) Cartographic
Design & Production - Longman - ISBN 0-582-30133-5 deals with them
more than most other texts. Books such as Parry & Perkins' World
Mapping Today give lots of information about topographic mapping, but
little on their content & design.

I have recently done quite a lot of investigation on the content and
design of medium scale topographic series around the world, but this
has not yet been published. Last summer an MSc student produced a
series of 1:100 000 topographic maps of the same area using the
specifications from a number of countries, to enable more direct
comparison of design. Hopefully, part of this may be published in the
Cartographic Journal later this year.

Many National Mapping Orgnaisations have web sites - try looking at
Odden's bookmarks which lists many.
http://kartoserver.frw.ruu.nl/html/staff/oddens/oddens.html

I would like to hear from others interested in the design of
topographic maps.

David Forrest

David Forrest PhD, FBCart.S
Lecturer in Topographic Science
Department of Geography and Topographic Science
University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Tel 0141-330-5401.  Fax 0141-330-4894
email [log in to unmask]