From:
Maps-L Moderator for Lou Malcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:24:45 -0500
Subject:        RE: USGS Coal Maps: digitized versions?
Date:   Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:38:11 -0400
From:   Malcomb, Lou <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Our Survey coal map person suggested the following:

National Mine Map Repository. All of the coal mine maps we've scanned here in Indiana are available through this repository (as well as our website). Here is some info from their website.

Office of Surface Mining's National Mine Map Repository: The National Mine Map Repository is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement.  It is a facility that provides and stores in microfilm more than 134,000 abandoned-mine maps. The repository contains maps from the 1860s to the present day. It serves as a point of reference for mine maps and other information for both surface and underground mines throughout the United States. It also serves as a location to retrieve mine maps in an emergency. To learn more, go to http://mmr.osmre.gov/.