From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:19:45 -0500
Subject:        Geologic Atlas of US - Scanned at Texas A&M
Date:   Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:51:07 -0500
From:   Kathy Weimer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum Maps <[log in to unmask]>

Wow - the word is really getting out.  Yes, it is true, Texas A&M has scanned and uploaded the complete set of Geologic Atlas of the US.  It is located in our institutional repository (TxSpace).  We were hoping to delay the big announcement for another month or so because we are currently working on a map-based interface which will be quite visually appealing and easy to use.  The current interface is a bit clunky but for those brave souls out there you may take a peak here - https://txspace.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/2489

One item discussed on Geonet yesterday was concerning the large file sizes and downloading.  This is a known problem which is addressed in our new interface.  We are implementing an image-gallery style viewing interface, with thumbnails for each page, and lower resolution surrogates for screen viewing, while still allowing access to download the full, archival-quality TIFF.  Using the thumbnail surrogates for each page and providing the browser with a high-level overview of all, or many, pages in the folio at once will increase the ease of navigation.

We are very pleased about the interest in the collection.  Stay tuned for an announcement on the revised interface in the near future, as well as our upcoming DttP article that Michael Fry mentioned.

Kathy Weimer
Rusty Kimball
Texas A&M University Libraries

Katherine H. Weimer, B.S., M.L.I.S.