From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:20:57 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:05:26 -0400
From: Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Geographic coordinates in MARC <fwd>
Sender: Joe Aufmuth <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Jimmie

I spent quite some time with Stephanie on this for the FBIC efforts.  There
is a serious road block to using MARC records and GIS exchange.  The current
database fields and relational sub-tables and not searchable.  The Federal
Geographic Data Committee has stipulations for maintaining metadata and the
issue is how can MARC be used to represent those fields and how are they
made searchable/reportable.  If cross discipline database exchange is going
to occur, a MARC record export format must be created and utilized.  In
addressing the FBIC issues, we found there are fields that are usable but
not necessarily appropriate.  Whatever is chosen, the database needs numeric
range search capabilities if polygon bounding boxes are to be utilized.  The
other consideration is how the coordinates for the record are chosen and the
methods implications for map accuracy standards.

Here is one site that addresses the FGDC cross walks.

"Mapping and Converting Essential Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC)
Metadata into MARC21 and Dublin Core: Towards an Alternative to the FGDC
Clearinghouse"

http://eeirc.nwrc.gov/pubs/crosswalk/fgdc-marc-dc.htm

I am available to discuss these issues at your convenience.

Joe Aufmuth
GIS Coordinator
University of Florida
George A. Smathers Libraries