From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:18:34 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        kids magazine on maps
Date:   Fri, 25 Nov 2005
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

http://www.cobblestonepub.com/magazine/APP/

The above url is for Cobblestone press which puts out AppleSeeds, a
magazine for youth. The November 2005 issue is on Maps.  Several years ago
their issue on Maps was terrific, and I have added it to my map
librarianship reading list, as a wonderful general introduction to the
cartographic world for those with no earthly idea what that is all about.

A journalist friend once told me a lesson he learned in journalism school,
which I have used over and over. When assigned by his newspaper editor to
write about a topic in which  he had no training, say coal mining or
chemistry or astrophysics, go to the local library and check out juvenile
literature on the topic. You get an introduction, a frame for the field,
even perhaps bibliographic citations to lead you further on into the
particular area of study.

This has stood me well in trying to find literature about maps and mapping
for the typical US citizen with no map training.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

 ------>  [Room 121,   February - November 2005]

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html