From:
Maps-L Moderator for Dan Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:54:07 -0500
Subject:        Technological Innovation and Public's Use of Maps - Your
Observations
Date:   Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:10:16 -0400
From:   Daniel O. Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

In June I will have the pleasure to make a presentation entitled "Mad Maps:
 A Revolution in Geographic Dissemination and Use" at the SLA (Special
Libraries Association) conference.

While I have many ideas, I am seeking the perspectives of professionals (and
others) involved with maps and mapping on these questions:

    * How have new technologies [e.g. pdf, scanning, online libraries, GPS,
GIS, Google Maps, Second Life, Facebook?, etc.] affected the ways in which
the public have been using, thinking about, and understanding maps?
    * What does the future hold in this regard?
    * Does geographic literacy have a new meaning?

Examples, discussions, and web links to examples are much appreciated.

Thank you for your thought and time.

Dan Holmes
Librarian and Geographer
Great Circle Information Services
and the David Rumsey Historical Map Collection