From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:52:03 -0400
3 messages.--------Johnnie

>From: Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: cataloging question <fwd>

I'd prefer:

1 ms. map on 12 sheets in the 300 (rather than ... :
manuscript).

Then either a simple note describing arrangement, e.g.

Sheets arranged left to right in three rows:  top row
(sheets 1-4), middle row (sheets 5-8), bottom row (sheets
9-12).  Or make an index map and record this in a 500 note
(do not make a separate catalog record for it).  If this
were a printed map for which you were making an index I'd
put it in a 590 note, since it would pertain to your
library's copy only (with an ms. map, you're it).
  Phil

Map Bibliographer                      650.725.1103
Branner Earth Sciences Library         FAX 650.725.2534
   & Map Collections
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2210

>From: April Carlucci
>Subject:Re: cataloging question <fwd>

I'd go with option 3, as I suppose you have already done something
   along these lines while sorting out the sheets. It would also save
   the considerable time it would take to figure out the lat/long on
   12 sheets of a manuscript map, unless you've done that already. It
   depends on how much time you've got to devote to this one record!
   But option 3 is perfectly acceptable, and I've seen it done often.

   April
   April Carlucci                                       0171 412 7062
   British Library Map Library                   [log in to unmask]

>From: william j thornton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: cataloging question <fwd>

For ease of use I prefer alternative 3, an index map.