From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:18:21 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:41:06 +1100
>From: John Cain <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Recent Bibliographies of Cartography

We are currently conducting an assessment of the materials held in the Map
Section, both maps and books, using a modified conspectus methodology. I am
currently preparing to check our collection of mainly reference books, plus
relevant material held in other library buildings, against standard
bibliographies and lists of materials. The two most recent general
bibiliographies on cartography I am aware of are:

     Perkins & Parry, INFORMATION SOURCES IN CARTOGRAPHY, London:
           Bowker-Saur, 1990.
     Hodgkiss & Tatham, KEYGUIDE TO INFORMATION SOURCES IN
           CARTOGRAPHY, London: Mansell Publishing, 1986.

Both are however getting rather dated now. I am aware of and plan to use
the the bibliography and appendixes in

     Larsgaard, MAP LIBRARIANSHIP AN INTRODUCTION, Englewood CO:
           Libraries Unlimited, 1998.

However this is naturally fairly focused on map librarianship and map
libraries and I am also looking for something that deals more broadly with
maps, mapping, the history of cartography, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

  John Cain
  Map Curator