From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:06:07 -0500
Subject:        RE: wide format scanners/historic map image servers
Date:   Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:04:28 -0400
From:   Simpson, Druscie <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

We are finishing up a grant to digitize the historic maps at the North Carolina State Archives (government archives) and have been using a Graphtec CS600Pro, that we have been very satisfied with. The initial cost was $15,363 (bought with grant funds), but it is now 5 years old and is a true workhorse.  See (http://www.graphtecamerica.com/).  Our issue has been storage and getting IT support.  Our original computer working with this scanner was terrific.  However, each time ITS replaces it, it gives us computers that have insufficient processing power. We then have to complain over and over until they believe us and replace the computer again with a more powerful one.  Even then, we often do not get the level of computing power that we really need to handle 1+gb files.
We have been storing our maps on DVDs, but now, at more than 800+ disks to keep up with, we are turning to SAN storage and dark archive storage.  It has become a nightmare to keep up with what map is on what disk, especially once you have done the core collection and are now doing maps that are being accessioned today.  It will take me some time to unload all the disks, especially since we have only around 10 maps per disk.  We scanned at 600dpi, full color, for our master files. We present them as jpeg2000 images at http://www.lib.unc.edu/dc/ncmaps/ which is a site hosted by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Once we have all our maps on the SAN and organized properly, we are going to send a copy to OCLC's dark archive for preservation storage.  We want to get out of the business of replacing DVD's every 5 years (yes I know they say they are guaranteed for 100 years, but the archival industry recommends replacing the disk every 5 years, even with the "gold" media.

Druscie

Druscilla R. Simpson
Head, Information Management Branch
N. C. State Archives
Mail Service Center 4614
Raleigh, N.C.  27699-4614
919-807-7319 (voice)
919-733-1354 (fax)
(Email sent or received may be considered a public record.)