From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:37:26 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Question about cataloging geologic maps
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005
From: Marcel Fortin <[log in to unmask]>
To: maps-l

Hello,

I hate to keep harping on this, but what are their
plans for archiving
this data, in what format and will some librarian in
the future have to
piece together road, topography, vegetation, and other
data so that
people can see what the place looked like at a
particular point in time?
Linda Zellmer

*Marcel writes:*

We (Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives and the
Canadian Cartographic Association) were told at our joint conference
this summer that Natural Resources Canada (the federal mapping body)
does archive its topographic data independent of the area at Library
and Archives Canada's specializing in geomatics archiving. We were
also told that the data can be extracted from their archives but at a
cost to the user.  We were also told not to archive data ourselves
since we might mislead our users with possibly outdated data.

--
Marcel Fortin
GIS and Map Librarian, University of Toronto