From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1993 17:16:17 EDT
I received e-mail from Poh Chan asking questions about building a background
in GIS.  I cannot answer the questions but feel that they are ones deserving
address.  I asked Poh Chan if I could post the questions to let those of you
who are wiser than I answer them and permission was granted.

I believe the questions are relevant to the larger issue to which I was
responding -- as librarians and libraries are unable/unwilling (no judgement
intended) to provide services which the users need, others begin offering
these services.  What can librarians do to reduce further erosion of our
domain and to begin rebuilding our involvement and credibility in these
areas?  The DuPont Circle demonstrates some answers.  This is also related to
Linda Zellmer's question -- should librarians be expected to do this? And let
me add -- when their income is so low that the cost of additional education,
which will not increase that income, is not a minor consideration.

Thank you, Poh Chan, for your questions.  I urge that you post your answers
to the list so anyone interested can benefit.  Thank you.

Debbie Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT  84112

Debbie,
After reading your e-mail, I decided it's best to write to you
directly for advice.

We do not have such technology in my map library now.  If I were to go
on study leave to upgrade myself and acquire this training, can you
advise the type of courses one should take.  Are there courses that
teach this new map librarianship, and where?  Or does one go
specifically for GIS courses?  Or is it more useful to go on practicum
at a map library that has this new technology?  Which are these
libraries?  Or should one go for a combination of a GIS course and
practicum?

Any info would be appreciated for I've been asked to give serious
thought to this matter.  I need to find out where to start.

Many thanks.

Poh Chan
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Map Collection