From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:53:42 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:59:38 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Collection Developemt for GIS Datasets:  Summary
Sender: [log in to unmask]

     At the end of last month I asked a question about which GIS datasets
might be worth purchasing other than such basic titles as the Digital Chart
of the World.  I didn't get many responses, but here is the summary I
promised.

     Surprisingly I got several responses about free or low cost data.  The
EPA BASINS set, USGS National Atlas sheets, and data produced by local
governments were mentioned.  Very little was said about more costly data.
One person mentioned Landsat imagery.  Another librarian mentioned Global
Insight, produced by Europa Technologies (http://www.europa-tech.com/)

     The most interesting response from my point of view came from a map
dealer who mentioned VMAP-1, which covers much of the world at a 1:250,000
scale.  This data is derived from U.S. government JOGs, and includes
various data layers.  I would be curious to hear from any libraries that
have had experience with this data.

     No mention was made of data produced by foreign governments, although
I know that some large libraries have been acquiring this type of data.
>From where I stand, the most useful data would reliable be worldwide or
country-wide data at a scale of 1:250,000 or greater, including layers for
vegetation, geology, demographics, etc.  I am still uncertain how much of
that sort of data is actually available.

David Allen
Map Librarian
SUNY Stony Brook

--- End Forwarded Message ---