From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:24:19 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:34:01 -0500
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: map stuff in NYPL shop for your holiday gifties

     For those of you into maps, and living or travelling in the NY metro
     area, I just want to let you know the Library retail shop has several
     items of interest--particularly because of the exhibit of English maps
     which is up right now...

     I post this for information only. No kickbacks come my way, just want
     you to be aware some of these items are relatively easily available.

     Books:
     Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: Merchant Seamen, pirates and
     the Anglo-American Maritime World, 1700-1750 by Marcus Buford Rediker.
     A terrific accompaniment to the cartographic historians' tomes.

     The charting of the oceans:ten centuries of maritime maps, and
     New Found Lands: maps in the history of exploration, both by Peter
     Whitfield.

     In addition the shop is selling the antique map calendar The Art of
     Cartography for 1999, which includes several items from the Map
     Division and from the Lawrence H. Slaughter map collection.

     In addition, Collecting Old Maps, by Frank Manasek, is available in
     the shop. An excellent introduction to this obsession.

     Rumor has it that there is a scarf in the shop at 4oth and Fifth
     Avenue, in the Mid-Manhattan Library, across the street, based on a
     Cellarius celestial chart held in the Map Division. No one from the
     shop has bothered to tell me the details, but I think it is black and
     white and ca. $60. Something like that. Will repost this info on
     maphist and maps-l when I get the correct info.

     All of these items come with a discount to Friends of the Library.

     Now, you have another excuse to come into midtown Manhattan. Come see
     the tree at Rock Center, then pop down to the Library to see the
     exhibit of English maps: In thy map securely saile, and before you are
     worn out, visit the shop for your yearly dose of mappy purchases.

     By the way, Tie Rack?, in England, has wonderful scarves with antique
     navigational instruments on them, in black and gold, black, red and
     gold, and black, red, blue and gold. Something like that. Stunning.
     Not availabe at the same/similar shops on this side of the pond.

     Alice Hudson
     Chief, Map Division, NYPL
--- End Forwarded Message ---