From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:48:51 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:28:39 +0000
From: Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Maps and Copyright

A colleague was recently seeking guidelines or clarification of
what is, and what is not, generally considered "acceptable practice"
in Britain and Ireland, with regard to photocopying extracts from an
(in this case Irish, but I think it is the same in UK map libraries)
Ordnance Survey map. My understanding is that, for most "normal academic
purposes", a single A4-size extract from any single map sheet, or up
to 10% of the map contents (whichever is the lesser value) is normally
deemed permissible, but any more than this is, technically at least,
exceeding what the authorities will willingly turn a blind eye to.
Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

In this instance, the extract desired is intended to accompany an
official submission to an authority who just might query any use that
goes beyond usual "fair practice", so we would like to know what the
officially condoned and generally agreed position is?

Thanks

Darius Bartlett

Darius Bartlett                                          Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                           Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                   Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                             Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                             Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Mobile: (+353) 86 8238043
E-mail: [log in to unmask]     Web URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/djb
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....
--- End Forwarded Message ---