From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:52:17 -0400
Subject: CD-ROM/DVD-ROM in map libraries
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:31:22 -0400
From: Tim Borzecki <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Hi

I'm a graduate student at Curtin University, Western Australia,
interested in the future of map
libraries. I have sent a small survey to some map curators and
librarians in Australia for a graduate
project, but I would appreciate some comment from international map
librarians in order to obtain
a different perspective.
I am particularly looking at the use of optical media in map libraries
(CD-ROM, DVD-ROM) and
whether their use is likely to decline in the same manner as CD-ROM use
in the general library
collections has declined in the last few years.
Does the type and file sizes of map/GIS data, mapping software and
information kept on CD-ROM
mean that CD-ROM will be used in map libraries long after they disappear
in the main library? To
what degree will the use of map information on the internet affect the
purchase and use of optical
media map products (CD-ROM/DVD-ROM) by map libraries?
If anybody has any comment or personal experience related to this issue,
please contact me at
[log in to unmask] Names and organization details will not be
used or stored for the
project.

Thank You,
Tim Borzecki