From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:01:35 -0600
Subject:        Map symbology keys? 19th Century USCS charts?
Date:   Tue, 04 Mar 2008 11:39:20 -0600
From:   Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps-L <[log in to unmask]>

Erno,

There is a book entitled: Topographical drawings methodically arranged
and engraved for the use of officers of the army & navy, civil
engineers, academies, colleges and schools of science / by J. Enthoffer
... published by D. Appleton & Co. in 1869.  There are 24 plates in
all.  Hers are the contents note:

 [Title page] Topographical drawings ... -- Plate I: Construction of
letters & figures -- Plate II: Alphabets and numerals -- Plate III: Map
lettering -- Plate IV: Conventional signs for the Army & Navy -- Plate
V: Conventional signs for topography [1] -- Plate VI: Conventional signs
for topography [2] -- Plate VII: Conventional signs for hydrography [1]
-- Plate VIII: Conventional signs for hydrography [2] -- Plate IX:
Conventional signs for fortreses, cities, etc. [1] -- Plate X:
Conventional signs for fortreses, cities, etc. [2] -- Plate XI:
Elementary rules of orographical design -- Plate XII: Types of orography
-- Plate XIII: Examples of hill shading [1] -- Plate XIV: Examples of
hill shading [2] -- Plate XV: Examples of hill shading [3] -- Plate XVI:
Glacier -- Plate XVII: Generalizing orographical details -- Plate XVIII:
Undulated country -- Plate XIX: Spurs of mountains -- Plate XX:
Mountains -- Plate XXI: Highland -- Plate XXII: Alps -- Plate XXIII:
High mountains -- Plate XXIV: Superglacial mountains.

Attached is an image of plate VII to give you an idea what it looks
like. It appears there are a number of libraries that hold this title
otherwise we have ours scanned. Feel free to contact us if you're
interested in obtaining copies. [log in to unmask]

Angie
Angie Cope, Senior Academic Librarian
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)
43°03'8"N 87°57'21"W