From:
Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 14:28:24 EDT
We are proud to announce that the annual national bibliography of
maps published in The Netherlands has been published again,
though in a different cover then before.

Between 1977 and 1984 the Royal Library of The Netherlands
published annuals for the years 1975 up to and including 1982 of
the "Bibliografie van in Nederland verschenen kaarten". The first
annual contained 402 descriptions, the last 2,841. Because we
tried to amalgamate with a general bibliographic database (which
did not work) and after that remade our system with state of the
art software (unix, unify etc.) we were not able to produce the
bibliography for a long time with the programmes used in the CCK
(Dutch Union Map Catalogue). However we kept up with
record-production through the years (some 27,500 descriptions).

Though we are presently porting our system to (hopefully) more
reliable software and another platform we fortunately can produce
tapes for our publisher.

We found the publisher of the Dutch National Bibliography willing
to include our annual therein and produce at the same time some
100 surplus copies for sale to institutions which are not
interested in the total National Bibliography.
Instead of annuals we intend to publish tri-annuals because a lot
of important publications can only be added to the collection
with a long time-lag. This means that the present bibliography
contains descriptions of maps published in 1991-1993, next year
1992-1994, following year 1993-1995, etc.

For those interested the description follows:

"Bibliografie van in Nederland verschenen kartografische
materialen : Nederlandse bibliografie ... : 1991-1993 ... -
Houten : Bohn Stafleu Van Loghum, 1995. - XII, 645 p."
Included in: "Brinkman's cumulatieve catalogus van boeken : 1994.
2362, XII, 645 p."

The bibliography contains 3,673 descriptions (ordered
alphabetical in order of publisher, 451 p.), indexes according to
CCK-area-code, CCK-subject-code and title, and lists for area-
and subject-references. It ends with an adress-list of publishers
(only those of whom maps are included).
The bibliography includes also maps published in or appended to
books and periodicals. This means that it includes e.g. 154
descriptions of maps published in part IV of the "Monumenta
Cartographica Neerlandica" or 178 descriptions of maps published
in part 2 of the "Sedimentary basins of the world".

Information on the National bibliography or seperate
map-bibliography can be gotten from the publisher:

Mr. A. Ruster
Bohn Stafleu Van Loghum
P.O. Box 246
3990 GA Houten
The Netherlands
Tel: +31-3403-95701 (from 1 October onwards +31-30-6395701)
fax: +31-3403-50903 (from 1 October onwards +31-30-6350903)
Unfortunately no e-mail address

Thank you for your attention.

Jan Smits
Map Curator Royal Library, National Library of The Netherlands
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
tel: +31-70-3140241
fax: +31-70-3140450