From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:43:13 -0500
Subject: RE: Moving map cases
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 18:36:13 +0000
From: Rick Grapes <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Larry,

We moved all of our 240.000 maps, back in the mid 90's from level 1 to
level 2.  It took one whole summer with teams of 3 or 4 working every
day.  We proceeded much as you've described, although it sounds like you
have some narrow doorways which might make our methods non-applicable,
and resulting in lots of hand work.

What we did was, we removed the contents, took the map drawers out, and
separately placed everything on 3 pallets.  One for the cases, one for
the empty drawers, and one for the map contents.  Even though our map
cases were stacked 3 or 4 high, we were only able to transport 2 cases
at a time because of the limitations of the elevators.  Weight and size.
  At first we tried reinserting the empty drawers back into the cases
resulting in 1 less trip back and forth.  But we found that it was
faster and lighter to keep everything apart until we got to the final
destination.  So we dismantled 2 cases, set them on their sides, and
using pallet jacks, move everything to the elevator.  The elevator cab
would hold 1 pallet and 1 person, but not the pallet jack.  So while one
person rode the elevator with the materials, the other 2 would run
upstairs and meet the elevator with a 2nd pallet jack on the 2nd floor.
  We'd move the materials to the new map area, and then repeat the process,!
   3 trips for every 2 map cases.

A complication.  Because of the layout of the rooms, and our inability
to navigate the pallets and jacks within the map area on the 1st floor,
we had to reverse the order of our collection from one floor to the
next.  As cases were dismantled from the higher numbers, G9980's on the
1st floor, they were eventually to be reassembled and filled with the
G3180's on the 2nd floor.  So we ended up with piles of maps from the
high numbers all over the floor, waiting for the cases from the lower
numbers on the 1st floor to be repositioned and reassembled on the 2nd
floor.  A minor problem in the eternal scheme of things, but an
inconvenience either way.

A warning!  Do not mix and match map cases with drawers from other
cases.  Make sure you keep the same drawers matched up with the same
cases as they came from the manufacturer.  This applies even if all your
cases were manufactured by the same company.  The back of each drawer is
adjusted in such a way, that it fits each associated case.  If you
happen to insert a drawer into the wrong map case, it may stick out in
the front, or it may slide in too far, drop down off the track way in
the back, and lock in place.  The only way you can fix this, is by
climbing inside the case, under the drawer, and push the back end of the
drawer up, while someone else pulls from the front.  If you have had
this happen, and you are not able to determine which case that
particular drawer came from.  You can, using some vice grips, bend the 2
metal tongues that stick out on each back side of the drawer.  They act
as bumpers against the  back of the map case, preventing the drawer from
sliding t!
  o far back.  In the same vein, there often are little rubber disks
attached to these 2 tongues on the back of the drawers.  Manhandling and
transportation of the cases and drawers may result in these rubber disks
falling off.  The result and fix may be the same, even though you have
kept the drawers and cases correctly matched.

I've rambled to long.  You can tell this experience is seared into my
being.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Rick Grapes
BYU Map Collection