Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:28:02 -0600
Subject:        Selection/Retention of Cartographic Materials in a Museum Setting
Date:   Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:19:12 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

All,

I am forwarding the following messages on behalf of Suzanne Pilsk,
Cataloging Librarian at the Smithsonian Institution Libraries. She
originally posted this to the OLAC listserv and I suggested MAPS-L as a
broader audience with the potential for more feedback. Thanks go to
those who have already replied to her original message (you know who you
are) and my apologies if some of you have seen this already. I will
first post Suzanne's original message, then follow with an expanded
explanation and outcomes that Suzanne sent to me personally. To further
elucidate Suzanne's institutional situation if you haven't been
lucky/honored/blessed enough to actually tour some of the Smithsonian's
"behind the scenes" collections and units -- there are research
collections used primarily by Smithsonian researchers/experts either
in-house or in the field, and then there are collections that support
the huge variety of museums that are run by the Smithsonian. Please take
note of this while reading Suzanne's further explanations/needs below, AND,

/Please respond to Suzanne offlist at [log in to unmask]

/Sincerely,

Paige