From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:35:44 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:36:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Seattle earthquake
Sender: Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>

Hello-- I thought I'd check in since I'm hearing from some of you.  The
University of Washington Libraries Map Collection and staff are fine.
We had quite a ride this morning with our 6.8 earthquake, but the Map
Collection sustained no apparent damage.  Suzzallo Library (currently
undergoing renovation including seismic upgrades) was evacuated
immediately after the quake and closed for the remainder of the day for
inspection.

Some of our campus libraries have books & shelving down.  Inspections are
being made throughout campus including the Libraries for structural
damage.  As far as I know, there were no serious injuries on campus nor
within the Libraries and no major structural damage on campus has been
reported so far.  We are all feeling very fortunate.  I'll let you know
more as I know it.  Thanks for your kind thoughts.  Kathryn

Kathryn Womble                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Map Collection                          Phone: (206) 543-9392
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA  98195-2900
--- End Forwarded Message ---