From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:00:40 -0500
Subject: RE: Road Map Collection comes to Stanford
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:28:47 -0400
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I can add on to Paige's comments.  One of my early fascinations with
maps came from riding in our family car (also a Rambler).  I always made
a point of asking for highway maps at the service stations when we would
stop for gasoline.  I still try to collect state ones at the visitor
information centers on the Interstate highways.  But Texaco, Gulf, Esso,
Sunoco, Shell, and other companies would contract with Gousha or Rand
McNally or other producers to distribute maps for free.  Free maps, to
this elementary student were wonderful things, to follow the route, plan
a new route, or just to imagine routes one might take.  Follow a river,
climb a mountain, cross the prairies, conjure with the old names, go to
parks, hit the big cities (inset and ancillary maps were great, too!),
go to Disneyland.

Ken

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA