From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:19:40 -0500
Subject:        Call for contributions - US National Report to the
International Cartographic Association
Date:   Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:11:18 -0400
From:   Jane Read <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l

Posted on behalf of Michael Leitner, Louisiana State University.

*Call for Contributions*

*/“Cartography 2007: Reflection, Status, and Prediction”/**//*

U.S. National Report to the International Cartographic Association

(Special Content Issue of */Cartography and Geographic Information
Science/*)

*/Michael Leitner/* and */André Skupin/*, Editors of the 2007 U.S.
National Report, request the submission of manuscripts related to the
National Report’s theme of “/Cartography 2007: Reflections, Status, and
Prediction/”.

This special content issue of */Cartography and Geographic Information
Science/* will contain material addressing our discipline in terms of:

1. Reflections on /past /developments, in particular those of potential
influence for the future

2. Perspectives on the /current/ state of cartography and GIScience

3. Aspirations and predictions for the /future/

With the help of this temporal outlook, the national report aims to
paint a comprehensive picture of the discipline. The report further
recognizes the increasingly interdisciplinary and international
character of modern cartography, where important advances rapidly and
transparently cross boundaries between disciplines and countries. Thus,
the editors also invite perspectives on cartography from other fields of
study (like computer science, information science, public health and
public safety, etc.).

As for the thematic scope of individual contributions, we especially
invite papers and opinions that have an overtly temporal angle on the
discipline. Related to this are papers dealing with evolving structures
in research, education, production, and administration (including from
governmental organizations and private industry). Beyond that,
contributions may report on high-impact research topics in all areas of
cartography and geovisualization. This may involve a particular
application area, such as the mapping of natural hazards, emerging
diseases, public safety, terrorism or political conflict, or it may
address novel methods and technologies. We also encourage submissions
from mainstream cartography and GIS organizations.

The report will contain four types of submissions:

1. */Peer-reviewed full papers/* (10,000 words max);

2. */Editor-reviewed short papers/* (3,000 words max, approximately 3
full pages of text);

3. */Short notes/* (500-1,000 words, approximately ½ -1 full page of text);

4. */Printed or virtual maps/*.

For /short notes/, we ask authors to look to the mid-term future (4-5
years). On one hand, we want to hear about plans, wishes, and
aspirations for that time period. Beyond that, we challenge authors to
make predictions for the year 2010. To complete that circle, the next
edition of the National Report in 2011 may revisit those predictions by
comparing them to reality. For /printed or virtual maps/ we seek
recently published maps from governmental agencies, academia, and the
private sector. This could also include maps from student award
competitions.

All submissions must be received by *September 15, 2006* at the address
below. The National Report will appear in the April or July 2007 issue
of /Cartography and Geographic Information Systems/. Color images and
figures will be included in the National Report.

Please indicate your interest in contributing to the National Report by
sending an email to Dr. Michael Leitner ([log in to unmask]), co-editor of
the National Report, indicating the following:

· Title of research paper/report/project description

· Names and affiliations of all authors

· Type of submission (full or short paper, short note, or map)

· A 100 word abstract (for full or short paper, only)

· Contact information for the first author (if different than affiliation)

This call for contributions is also available at:

http://geography.sdsu.edu/People/Pages/skupin/research/ICA_NationalReport/ICA_NationalReport_CfP.pdf

For manuscript formatting instructions please refer to:
http://geography.sdsu.edu/People/Pages/skupin/research/ICA_NationalReport/ICA_NationalReport_Instructions.pdf

*/Please address all correspondence to/***

Dr. Michael Leitner

Department of Geography and Anthropology

E111 Howe-Russell Geoscience Complex

Louisiana State University

Baton Rouge, LA 70803

Tel +1 225.578.2963

Fax +1 225.578.4420

Email: [log in to unmask]

*/Timeline/*

Call for papers issued: March 1, 2006

All submissions due: September 15, 2006

Authors notified: December 15, 2006

Revisions due: February 1, 2007

Publication: Volume 34, Number 2 or 3, April or July, 2007

23^rd Int. Cartogr. Conf.: Moscow, August 4-10, 2007