From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:29:12 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: geographic code indexing
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005
From: Colleen Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Ken,
   The 052 field is used in the Geography & Map Division of the Library
of Congress rather than the 043 (Geographic Area Code) primarily because
the latter does not go below the state/province in its detail.  The 052
allows for coding to whatever level is supported by the geographic
subject headings used in a record, even a city sub-section.

   That said, there are very few systems that index this, probably
because it requires a knowledge of the LC G class schedule, which most
users don't have available. In LC's Voyager implementation, there is no
left match index, but you can use a keyword search (K052).

Colleen
  Colleen R. Cahill                   |  [log in to unmask]
  Digital Production Coordinator      |  (202)707-8540
   & Recommending Officer for         |  FAX (202)707-8531
        Science Fiction & Fantasy     |  Library of Congress
These opinions are mine, Mine, Mine! |  Washington, DC 20540-4652